Contact Traffic and Highway Safety Office

Please, only contact the Troop Traffic and Highway Safety Office after you have read the Traffic Ticket Frequently Asked Questions below.


DIAL 911 if you need immediate assistance, have been involved in a crash, or if you have witnessed dangerous, aggressive or erratic driving that poses risk to other motorists on the road.


If you are reporting an incident in New York City, please contact the NYPD.


Q: How do I answer the ticket I received?

BY MAIL – Complete the guilty or not guilty section and mail the ticket to the court address provided. The court will contact you directly. Please retain a copy of your citation for your records.

IN PERSON – Indicated on the bottom of the ticket, locate the court address, date and time of your scheduled appearance. You will enter your plea then.

Please note, once the New York State Police issues a citation, the matter is between yourself and the court. We only re-enter if called by the court to testify.

Q: How do I find out how much the fine is?

Complete the Guilty or Not Guilty boxes on the rear or right hand side of the ticket and mail the ticket to the court address located at the bottom.

When the court receives the ticket they will notify you of the amount of your fine; or the time and place of your court appearance.

Q: What do I do if I lost my copy of the ticket?

If you know the court to which court the ticket is answerable, please contact them directly.

If the ticket was issued by the New York State Police, please contact the Troop in which you received the ticket. Troop Location Map.

If the ticket was issued by another law enforcement agency, please contact them directly. We do not have access to other law enforcement agency traffic records.

If you do not know the court where the ticket is answerable, contact the Department of Motor Vehicles Call Center.

The DMV can often identify the local court or Traffic Violations Bureau in which your ticket is answerable.

Q: What do I do if I can't read court the information on the bottom of the ticket?

Determine which troop and zone you were in when you received your ticket by looking at the Troop Location Map.

Then, call the Troop Headquarters for that area and ask for the Traffic Section. You must be able to accurately describe where you were when you received your ticket before NYSP personnel to determine under which court's jurisdiction you fall.

If you do not have sufficient information for NYSP personnel to assist, contact the Department of Motor Vehicles.

***Courts may be operating under their own COVID guidelines, please contact the court directly with any questions.***