Alcohol Related Programs
These programs cover several important topics which help ensure the success of law enforcement efforts targeting motorists who are Driving While Intoxicated (DWI). The 80-hour program includes training in:
- DWI Vehicle and Traffic and related laws;
- DWI case law;
- Physiological and pharmacological effects of alcohol consumption on the human body;
- Identification of the intoxicated or drug-impaired motor vehicle operator;
- Operational principles and use of the breath test instrument;
- Documentation of the arrest and testing procedure, and
- Preparation for courtroom testimony.
All Basic School recruits are required to pass a written and practical proficiency test to be certified as Breath Test Operators by the New York State Department of Health. Periodic in-service training and testing continues for all patrol troopers throughout their careers to ensure breath test operator proficiency and Health Department certification.